New Tax Preparers - Start Here.
Welcome to the Professional Career of Tax Preparation. No matter what path you took to get here, preparing taxes is just part of the business. Many individuals get into the tax industry thinking that it’s an easy industry to make a quick buck and they could not be more wrong. Whether you are adding tax services to your current business or making it your primary business, tax preparation can be a profitable and rewarding career, however, it’s going to take some work. Tax preparers have work to do all year long and then during “tax season” you could be working all day and night.
How can you make your season go easier? You could follow our guidelines below to get your office compliant. Some items to consider:
- Location, Location, Location
- Be visible
- It’s never too early to start marketing
- Using good vendors
- Have the right insurance
- Get your professional tax software from Nexus United.
- Sign up for offering Bank Settlement Products – great revenue generator and a good way to gain new business
You can start with a free trial of our software now and schedule a time to talk to one of our account specialists.
Tax Industry Education
To get started:
- You MUST have a PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) – Apply for yours here. This has to be renewed each year by December 31st.
You will also need an EFIN (Electronic Filing Identification Number) if you are the owner of the office. Click here to apply for your EFIN. The EFIN does not have to be renewed each year. One EFIN is assigned per office and must be used at that office.
- You have to follow Publication 1345 – Obtain your copy here .
- You have to follow Circular 230, this applies to all persons preparing tax returns. Obtain your copy here
- As a tax return preparer, there are federal mandates that say you must e-file all returns if you prepare and file more than 10 returns per year. See the IRS information here .
The IRS has implemented the Voluntary Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP). This new program aims to recognize the efforts of non-credentialed return preparers who aspire to a higher level of professionalism. They will do this by meeting the requirements of 18 hours of CE credits each year to participate in this program. More information can be found by clicking here
Do you need your CE Credits?
Are you in need of your CE Credits for this season as well as future years? We have partnered with an Industry leading provider of affordable continuing education for tax professionals.
CE Credits Information
Nexus United has teamed up with APlusCPE to provide continuing education for tax practitioners at every level. If you prefer an online course with availability at your convenience, then our solution is right for you.
Some of the benefits you will enjoy:
- Instant Purchase & Use
- State Requirement Purchasing
- AFSP Courses
- Learn At Your Own Pace
- Great Pricing, 2 Hours for Just $9.95
- Great Packages to Make The Selection Easy
- Pick The Courses That Interest You